Monday 12 April 2010

Growing old gracefully??

Fabulous amazing skype. I think I might well always do line runs like this.

Ellen and I did our first whole play stagger through line run. Not bad at all.

I have got a particular rant going on at the moment. I am starting to notice ageism creeping into my life. Shame you only notice unfair things when they happen to you, but life is like that. I have looked around and there is a lot of help and support for anyone under 26 - writers groups, youth organisations etc. Lots of funding in the system and you can see why - if you encourage each new generation they will grow old gracefully. Or at least they might! Trouble is, it seems the older you get the less anyone is bothered about letting you learn new things or bothered about you at all it seems. You are either barred or they just forget about you. Persephone and Dora were forgotten about - for years and years as they grew old "disgracefully" in their mental institution.

I thought ageism was illegal these days. Like many "isms", it has clearly just gone underground. Everyone deserves an equal chance - it shouldn't matter what race, gender or age you are. If anyone tells me "you can't..." then that is immediately what I set out to do. Sometimes at the detriment of the sensible less time consuming option! You can do anything you want to - I truly believe that. You just have to want to enough.

There is a line in the play: "You have to make things happen. You can't wait for them to come to you." True enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment